Thursday, January 14, 2010

Supermom meets Storage Closet

Before

During


After

What this means is that I desperately needed to put away Christmas but didn't have anywhere to put it all!

Description: Installation of wire shelving, including 2 horizontal hangtracks, 5 vertical shelf tracks, 4 shelves 16"wide and 47" long(and room for another), plus a 35" shelf, and 12 shelf brackets. This project essentially doubled the storage capacity of my under-stairs storage closet, and magnified its accessibility immeasurably.

Project planning: 1 hour

Installation: 2 hours (That's it!)

Cost: it's not important (okay, it was twice what I thought it would be, but sooo worth it!)

Tools needed: Stud finder, pencil, drill, level, measuring tape, screws. (I would recommend a stud-finder that is a little better than the $8 kind, especially if you have loathful textured walls)

Helps: a half-dozen guys at Home Depot (not all at once...) and this 5-minute YouTube video.

Difficulty level: This was surprisingly simple! It was very important that I measured and mapped the wall first so that I knew exactly what kind of space I was working with and how many shelves I would get and where they would go. Then once I got the stuff, it was seriously easy to install!
Ta-Da!

4 comments:

Mom said...

I'm impressed--and inspired. I need to tackle every drawer and closet in my house. Or maybe I need a daughter to come home and do it for me.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

angela michelle said...

fun project! i'm impressed you did it all by yourself!

Team Clark said...

Hey - that's great! I love projects like that (when they're done, of course). Way to go!