At our house, President Hinckley is the first Prophet that either of us remembers in our adult lives, as I was only 12 when he was sustained in 1995, and Chris didn't become a member of the church until 1998. We will always remember him as an incredible spiritual giant.
He will be succeeded by another man, and the Church will go forward, but we will always remember with fondness this man who has done so much for the Church. Although I can't provide an exhuastive list of his accomplishments, here are a few things from his life and ministry that make up his legacy:
- His utilization of radio and television media to spread the gospel's message
- Revealing The Family: A Proclamation to the World in 1995
- The Perpetual Education Fund, which provides means for young adults throughout the world (mostly developing countries) to obtain an education
- His involvement in building and dedicating temples, including smaller temples, Houses of the Lord in which individuals can learn more of the nature of God and receive essential ordinances, and in which families can be sealed together for eternity
- The building of the Conference Center
- His extensive worldwide travels and humanitarian efforts, even in his advanced age
- And so many more...what am I missing?