Thursday, October 18, 2007

What was I thinking?

I've been pretty busy lately. I've been trying to get my house in order, take care of myself, take care of my Leah, take care of my Chris, do my calling, revive my business, the list goes on. I was showing someone the cute pattern I used to make Leah's monkey costume last Halloween, and I remarked, "This little fairy is cute, I should just make it for her," instead of putting together a makeshift costume with items from the dollar store.

Well, thinking that is no problem. But actually buying fabric out of guilt that my child didn't have a custom-made Halloween costume was a problem. It's not that I don't know how to sew. I think I'm a fairly competent seamstress. The problem is that I don't have time to make it! The next problem is that this costume is made with satin and organza, both of which are very delicate and difficult to work with, not to mention extremely unforgiving when it comes to making mistakes. And when I said I'm a fairly competent seamstress, what I meant was that I take two steps forward and one step backward the entire time, but its because I know how to fix mistakes and I want to do it right. I should just throw in some seersucker to make it more interesting, right?

Anyway, so I've been super busy trying to get things done and also to prepare for a mini vacation we started yesterday, which means that I had three days before our vacation to start, and will have one week afterward to finish, working mainly during mid-afternoon naptime and after Leah has gone to bed. I knew if I didn't start before we left, I wouldn't have time to do it all afterward. I've gotten the main body put together, with the next step being gathering the cap sleeves...the organza sleeves. Did I mention that I hate sewing with organza? So far, about every hour when I look at the fraying satin or ahead at the pattern and dread easing organza sleeves, and then attaching sequin trim to home-made fairy wings, I think to myself, "What was I possibly thinking when I impulsively decided to start this project? What have I gotten myself into?"

The whole point is that I know I'll do it (even if it takes all night the night before we go to a costume party), and by nature, I know that I have to do it right or I will never be satisfied with my work. The trick is to just take it one step at a time and not get overwhelmed with what lies ahead. What was I thinking?

No comments: