Saturday, December 15, 2007

What's in your Fridge?

Once upon a time, I bought Fat Free Ranch Dressing. Apparently, this is an abomination because it just doesn't taste good. I learned my lesson that it doesn't get eaten at my house, and have since adopted the practice of buying Light Ranch Dressing. It tastes much better and still has a lower fat content than regular Ranch Dressing (which is also very good).

Last night we had a green salad with our pork chops. I went to get some ranch out of the fridge for my salad, but all we had was that same 24 oz bottle of Fat Free that is still only 3/4 finished. I couldn't bring myself to eat it, knowing it would taste funny compared to my expectation of how Light or full-fat ranch tastes. I settled for some other creamy dressing and vowed to buy salad dressing the next time I'm at the grocery store.

About to put the inferior salad dressing back in the fridge, I curiously checked the expiration date on the bottle. 12OCT05. What? That bottle of ranch expired over two years ago? That was before our child was born! What's even more appalling, since October of 2005, we have moved twice. This means I have moved that particular condiment from refrigerator to refrigerator two times, and we still have no intention of ever finishing it. I threw it away. How liberating.

Do you know what's lurking in your fridge?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really gross.

We bought Ranch dressing our first week here (5 months ago now). It takes nasty, and it's not even fat free. I think I should go toss it. I know we won't eat it.

david and michal said...

today i threw out a roasted red pepper dip i'd made probably 2-3 months ago. i ate some of it once, dipping baby carrots. the rest of the time it's been sitting in the fridge. after thanksgiving i was so sick of food i threw out everything in my fridge that looked like it had been there for over 2 days.