Thursday, November 04, 2010

Pregnancy Rules

Three simple rules. That's all.

1. Prego is an Italian word meaning "I pray" and is used in response to "thank you." It is also a popular and very tasty brand of pasta sause. Please don't use this word to describe me.

2. Please don't tell me "You're so small!" It seems about the same as saying "You're huge!" Likewise, "You do not look __(number between 12 and 40)__ weeks!" seems just as pointless. Why do people feel the need to comment on the size of your middle, small or big? I'm putting in my time and feel as pregnant as I am supposed to.

On the other hand, if you feel that you absolutely must comment on how a pregnant woman looks, "You look terrific!" is always nice to hear, whether or not it is true.

3. Horror Stories. Yeah, I know my fair share of pregnancy, delivery, and misscarriage horror stories. There is a time and a place for swapping stories of this type, but please not in front of me while I'm pregnant.

I feel like pukeing constantly and I have never felt more tired in my life. Soon I will be comiserating about sciatic nerve pain, eventually about kicks to the kidneys and my hips being sore from sleeping, and having to pee every 20 minutes. And the reflux. There are more things that I have blissfully forgotten that will soon come back to memory with fondness. I'm not complaining, I'm just telling you so that you don't have to ask me how I'm feeling unless you really want to know.

If you are itching for a way to help me out, I'd be happy to lend you my first two children so that I can take a nap, provided that they are returned with Cafe Rio take out (hold the cilantro) and that Samuel comes back potty trained. There is also a mop in my closet that could use a pass on my kitchen floor, because I'm really not in the mood for mopping right now.

6 comments:

angela michelle said...

Yes, "you look great" is really the only thing to say. I just never know how to respond to the "you look big/small" comments.

I bet you'll be getting your second wind soon, so hang in there!

Rebecca said...

I too hate the word "prego" and I hated how, even at nine months, people told me I was so small. Who cares, I was still about to have a baby!!!

I think my pet peeve is pity. I didn't want people feeling bad for me. Of COURSE I vomited and I was tired and uncomfortable for months! I was having a baby. Someone even told me that having a baby wasn't worth it if I was vomiting every day. WHAT?! Sorry, but my son was definitely worth it. Maybe part of the fact I hated the sympathy was that I'd waited almost a year (I know, not THAT long, some wait much longer) so when I finally started feeling miserable and vomiting every day I was so excited because I knew that a baby would FINALLY be coming. Feeling miserable is so productive in that setting :) It's all for the baby. How nice it was!

Not that I liked feeling miserable. I just think pity is the wrong thing to give. So anyway, I hereby give you no pity and I never will. GO FEEL MISERABLE!! You get a wonderful baby in the end, and I"m so excited for you. What a blessing.

Ellen Sorenson said...

You look wonderful. Mom

carol said...

Congratulations! I didn't realize you were expecting. Hope everything goes well.

Sarah Stiles said...

I have not had a lot of time to read up on friends' blogs lately, but I had a little extra time today. And yay! You are expecting!! Happiness and Joy! I hope everything goes well!

Sarah said...

Congratulations! We love you guys and can't wait to hear all about the new edition when he/she arrives. Any partiular desires for the gender?