Friday, September 07, 2007

Life is but a dream

Pregnancy has introduced a new world of thought: bizarre dreams. I'm sure those of you who've been pregnant are nodding knowingly.

When I was pregnant with Leah, I mostly dreamt about the strange things I would soon give birth to, such as animals, newborns that could speak, and once I even gave birth to a full-grown Chris, complete with a day's worth of facial hair. This time around, the strange dreams are once again emerging. A few weeks ago, I dreamt that I gave birth to a one year old boy on October 14 (3 months early) and that four days later I gave birth to a newborn boy. I had even named both children in my dream: Samuel Joseph (which is the name we've picked out for our baby) and David James (which is a potential candidate for future baby boys). I remember thinking it was very strange to have two new babies that were a year apart.

But last night...oh boy! At first it was a pretty normal non-pregnancy dream, just weird enough to make my heart race. Here's how it went: My oldest brother Frank and my Dad were working together to launch an airplane they'd constructed. An airplane big enough for a person to ride on. Becky and I were there facilitating and cheerleading, and driving people around in her red Honda Civic which is now ours (I even recall that someone noted "We've just passed 45,000 miles on the odometer," or some other noteworthy milestone). There were lots and lots of hopeful airplane makers preparing to launch on the same runway, but their contraptions resembled motorcycles and old Winnebagos they'd modified for flight (Spaceballs, anyone?) The next launch attempt failed, but for some reason I kept running along the runway pushing my toddler in the stroller, in obvious danger.

This is where it gets really weird:
I was confronted by my sister who was very upset with me for having put myself and Leah in danger. For some reason, I decided it would be appropraite to have a temper tantrum because of my embarassment, and to lock myself in my room screaming. Becky then warned me not to give myself hytugit, and of course I knew what that word meant and how to spell it.

Hytugit [hahy-too-jit] -noun. Starvation and dehydration to the point of hysteria. Ex. By the time the lost hikers were found, they had suffered from hytugit and heat exhaustion.

Hytugit? Yes, in my dream, my subconscious invented a word, its meaning, and how to spell it. No, I checked this morning and it is not really a word. Any dream experts out there care to interpret what it means to invent words in your sleep?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd like to hear what the dream experts say. That one sounds worth hunting up a dream expert if you don't know any.

And I think that is a great word. We should all start using it in our daily conversations: "I'm feeling a little hytugit since I missed lunch." Out of curiosity, does Becky get the credit for making up the word, or do you, since it was your dream?

Jenny said...

Hmmm...that is a very good question. Can we share the royalties?

Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud, but not suffering from hytugit, having just returned from Las Palmas. Great dream. Let me know when you get the book published. Mom

Anonymous said...

I feel honored to have been the inventer of a new word. What a bizarre dream!

Nancy Sabina said...

Ahh yes, the insane dreams. I too suffer from this when pregnant. Except my dreams are usually about Richard and I am usually mad at him. Once I actually kicked him out of bed. KICKED him out of bed. As in, kicking, repeatedly, until he fell off his side of the bed. He sometimes claims that we will not be getting pregnant again until we buy a King sized bed.