Monday, January 28, 2008

Short-Order Breakfast

My favorite breakfast option as of late is French Toast. I justify making this for myself and my child because it has milk and eggs in it, and I make it with whole wheat toast. Fiber. Protein. Calcium. Sounds good to me! Its cheap, only takes about 15 minutes to make, and is super tasty. I make it approximately once a week.

Since Chris is back at work this week, I'm now on my own with two kids, but nevertheless, I had the craving for French Toast this morning. I decided to make a double batch so that I could keep some in the refrigerator and reheat it later in the week or as a midnight snack. I busted out the 20" griddle so I could make 8 at once. My toddler waited patiently by playing with tupperware on the floor, and my baby was blissfully sleeping. By 8:30 I served Leah a piping hot slice of french toast, soaking with melty butter and dripping in hot syrup. I poured myself a glass of milk and took a bite.

It tasted really funny. My first guess was that it tasted different since I coated the griddle with butter instead of pan spray as usual. I took a second bite. Like a brick it hit me with perfect clarity: I had used 1/4 cup of salt and not sugar. French Toast is not supposed to be salty. It tasted awful and it was not salvageable. Leah didn't seem to notice and ate her whole slice, but didn't ask for seconds either. What's really a shame is that I wasted 8 eggs, 2 cups of milk, and 8 slices of bread. And I was still craving buttery, syrupy, sweet French Toast.

I mournfully poured the remaining batter down the sink and all 7 remaining slices in the garbage can and started over. (A month ago, still pregnant, this would have made me cry). Of course by the time my second try was ready, my glass of milk was warm, the syrup was cold, and the baby had woken up. So much for being Supermom. This is the kind of thing that has contributed to the "Inadequacy" label having so many entries--this kind of thing happens to me all the time.

Here's the recipe so you can make it right the first time (Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook):
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup of milk
2 T SUGAR
2 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
8 slices of bread
butter

4 comments:

david and michal said...

you call it inadequate; when i do something like that (also ALL the time!), i call it an honest blonde mistake!

Anonymous said...

On Sunday, a primary-aged girl gave a lesson where she told this story from The Friend. Lesson: "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" or, in other words, "When you put too much salt, make play dough." Interesting that you did this the same weekend I heard that story...What is it with salt this weekend?

Anonymous said...

I almost cried--you had my mouth watering for delicious French toast. It's a good thing you tried again. I'm impressed by your determination.

I myself was a bit confused by your nearly identical canisters. Maybe it is time to sacrifice pristine lids in favor of stickers. Of course if you put the wrong lids on, then you'd be foiled again.

angela michelle said...

Oh man I hate that! I once grabbed the jug of ammonia and poured it all over a huge couscous salad instead of vinegar! And just last week I melted feta cheese that was past its prime over our dinner!