Tuesday, January 01, 2008

What if...

At the New Year, we talk a lot about resolutions. Starting over. Getting off on the right foot. Starting that new diet or budget on the very first day...

Well, what if every day of the year were patterend after what you did on New Year's Day?

For example, today the whole family slept in late and barely changed out of pajamas. Since it was a Federal Holiday, Chris got paid even though he didn't have to go to work. I took a nice hot shower, bathed my child, made a yummy dinner, ran the dishwasher twice, vacuumed, took a nice long afternoon nap, did several loads of laundry, and didn't spend a dime! Wouldn't it be nice if every day were inexpensive and restful, yet productive?

On the other hand, I didn't actually leave the house once. I did shower and get dressed, but it was at 7:00 at night, and I never did bother to put in my contact lenses. I changed three supernasty diapers and kissed pinched fingers better. I didn't actually go to bed until 3 this morning, was hungover on Sparkling Cider, and had a double dose of dessert for lunch. Wouldn't it be awful if every day it was below freezing, I pigged out on desserts, I was extremely lazy, we were almost out of my toddler's diapers, and I were only days away from giving birth?

What would your year mean if you did today over and over again?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My new years day was very hot! I spent the day sitting under the swamp cooler and reformatting the hard drive of my laptop and reloading all the programs. That would be annoying to do everyday. I wasn't very productive other than that. The other 364 days are for those resolutions I made...

Anonymous said...

I slept late, then swam for 30 minutes, read a good book, ate leftovers--including pie for breakfast, talked to friends and family on the phone, and worked on my dissertation. (Now _that_ is something I fear I am destined to do every day for the rest of my life, not just all year.) We both got paid without working, and I never left the house. In addition, if you start counting right at midnight, we partied and spent time with family and friends. Works for me!